Sunday, February 04, 2007

To Be Continued...

These days, most comic readers wait for the trade (paperback). This is because of many things: cost, long-ass waiting periods between each issue (especially with some publishers/writers/artists taking release schedules as a suggestion), and probably a few more I can't think of. The graphic novel is in the spotlight, while the periodic 'floppy' seemingly becomes obsolete.

Even so, I love the serial format of the monthly title. If I ever get into comics (which I would like to, but probably not as a full career), I'd much rather write serial stories, rather than graphic novels. That's the plan, at least.

The serial format (not just in comics, but in every other storytelling medium) tickles my fancy. It allows writers to have a bigger story with unrelated stories interjected within it, and nobody has a problem with that. It also allows you to use the (in the right hands) effective 'cliffhanger' device, which can be really fun for the readers and might make them want to see how it ends.

I'm really late tonight, so maybe if I can think of anything else relating to this subject, I'll write it in a future post.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home