Sunday, July 08, 2007

North Dakotan Vacation

For two days worth of time over the course of three days this week, I was in Minot, North Dakota. It has been a long while since I went to the US, so some things came as a bit of a shock to me. Actually, shock is too strong. When the following things came up, I said "Huh" and thought nothing more of it:

*Doritoes bags are much less interesting, but still look kinda slick in a minimalist way.
*God, those chocolate bars are tiny. How can you eat a Kit Kat of that size? It's not worth the money.
*TV Guide is the a channel in itself, but it's also the place that shows what's on! I wish my TV guide channel was more than just a stream of local ads.
*KFC & A&W? Ridiculous. KFC goes with Taco Bell.

(Note: Not all of these apply only to the US. They could very be in Canada, just in interesting places that are nowhere near where I live...)

These quirks are what made what is essentially the US counterpart of where I live a good place to vacation. Our hotel was connected right to the mall, so I could go there any time I wanted to so I could browse crap. The mall was one of three places worth going to me for me, the other two being the Wal-Mart castle and the aforementioned KFC & A&W.

Those that have endured my past ramblings may rememberthis, where I go on about Minot's larger cousin, Bismarck, and the Alien Bar & Grill that it had. Well, I guess Minot had one too. It was right across from the hotel/mall. I did not go again to see if it is still how I remember it.

Instead, we went to an all-you-can-eat restaurant. Yes, it really was. Good food, plus I got to make my own ice cream cone. And in the end, isn't that what America is all about?

This week was adventure week, for sure.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home